Thursday, August 05, 2004

Googling.... Ushuaia

Ushuaia is the southernmost city of the world. Right at the tip of the Southern America. And using "Ushuaia" as a term means to reach the extremes of the unexplored.

Googling is an awesome way to Ushuaia. The sheer reach and penentration of Google is unrivalled. No use going into "Search Wars" over Google vs Yahoo vs AltaVista vs et al.

Developing Googling as a hobby opens up vast resources of knowledge cutting across the length and breadth (and of course..depth!!!) of the spectrum of human intellect. Just type the topic's name in the search field.. and the information gathered by anybody who is somebody in that field will be available to you.

Instance 1.
I just got fascinated over that 6 colored 3 X 3 X 3 block which has held the imagination of nerds and skeptics alike. Its the Rubik cube. Dunno how many man-years of productive thinking would have gone behind developing the algos for solving the cube and then practising them such that a person has a worl drecord of solving the cube blindfolded(yeah... skeptic??) in 11.2 seconds!!! Not in my life.. never was I going to get that much skill and how would I hit upon the optimized algo. Simple!!! Google is God... answers to all my questions. I not only got the algo, but full flash animation which would be repeatedly play itself so that I could mesmerize (err.... memorize) the steps. And now I can solve the cube..... acheivement, mission accomplished!!!!
http://lar5.com/cube

Instance 2.
Nostalgia haunts me like anything. So, on one rainy morning, I remembered 1989 and a Pakistani singer by the name of Hassan Jahangir. (If you were born near 1980.... and had access to some kind of tape recorder... you are bound to know this). There was a song "Hawa Hawa" which had taken the nation by storm. Somehow, I felt the inkling of having the original piece of music and searched Google for some download site. Instead, I landed up on a web page mentioning the song.
The page was an awesome blog by a dude who lambasted mid-80s Hindi movies in the most hilarious notes. And in hi snostalgia section was the mention of the song. The blog is called "Timex Timepass". And it has been a great strees reliever at numerous occasions.
http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~sundar/tp.htm


Ushuaia....

No comments: